12 Helpful Tips on Preparing Items for Storage
Storing items short, medium or long-term can provide a solution whether you are downsizing your home, moving internationally, or simply want a bit more space.
It is important to get organized before transferring items into storage. This can save time and money, ensuring your items are handled and stored safely in the best possible conditions.
Related Topic: Tips for choosing an International Mover
We have highlighted 12 steps to help you prepare your items for storage:
- Your first task it to purchase some packing material (you can probably buy this from the company you intend to store with). In this case you negotiate a good deal – you should get the materials at cost, or possibly even free These should include: Packing paper, bubble-wrap, various sizes of strong cardboard moving boxes, and tape.
- Pack heavy/dense items into smaller boxes. Lighter items can be packed into larger boxes. This makes handling boxes much easier.
- Any fragile items should be marked accordingly, but also add a sticker or make a note on the box to Load on top. This ensures these boxes do not get crushed.
- Use an absormatic such as Silica Gel to protect your items against humidity.
- Use void areas such as cupboards, chest of drawers, bottom of a wardrobe etcand pack light items, such as towels, linen, soft toys These are non-breakable items, which take up space So make use of these empty areas.
- Pack plates vertically, they are much less likely to break if the box is mishandled.
- Make sure fridges and freezers are left open and unplugged for at least hours before packing them. It is vital these appliances are dry in order to avoid mold.
- Chairs can be packed with one inverted and the seats together; this reduces volume and also creates two spaces between the chair legs, (ideal for lampshades). You may find chairs can stack, especially outdoor furniture.
- Most tables have legs, which can be dismantled; this is normally a fairly simple task and saves space.
- Keep nuts and bolts in separate zip-lock bags and mark the bags accordingly, desk, dining table, door wardrobe, etc. Then place the bags into a small box and mark it clearly as parts box in a brightly coloured marker pen to distinguish it. Avoid taping the nuts and bolts to the dismantled item as these can be mistakenly discarded during unpacking.
- Number each box and mark the contents on the side. It also helps to note the room from where the contents originated.
- Prepare a packing list. Again, most professional companies can provide you with a template. if you ask them they may even have room locator label, which you can use (during delivery all items can be checked off this list and placed in appropriate rooms).
Global Relocations offers short to long-term Storage Solutions. We ensure the greatest of care is taken with your personal effects within our secure, temperature controlled, Storage Facility in Dubai.